Thursday, November 19, 2009

Zakkaya - 52 Johnson St, Fitzroy



Ooh, after passing by this little store on the way to and from work everyday for the last 2 years, staring wistfully at the 12pm-5pm opening hours and wondering how I was ever going to get there (don't ask me why I didn't think about dropping in on one of the countless Saturdays spent on Brunswick St!), I finally went for a long walk during my lunch hour to check it out. And I am in love. So beautiful. So so beautiful!

I found some magical Japanese ceramic cups for a dear friend's 30th. He is a big fan of Japanese style. And he doesn't read this blog so I can blab all about it. Well, I'm pretty sure he doesn't. At the moment he is home alone with this little guy, so I think even if he does read this occasionally, he won't be before his birthday on the weekend! Anyway, the cups are gorgeous, beautiful in their Japanese simplicity. White and about the size and shape of a takeaway coffee cup, slightly textured and just bliss.
My problem is that this particular dear friend lives in Sydney! Not good for transporting such precious little things. At this point I confess - I am a hoarder of packaging. I keep it all with the hope that I will use it again next time I need to send something (which I do! Just not as quickly as I receive things!) So I wrapped up the cups in so much bubble wrap that they are now the size of footballs, and I reckon I could probably kick them all the way to Sydney and they wouldn't break. I hope not anyway!
Oh oh - time to make like Christian and Bale - lunch of spicy grandmother's bean curd with my girlfriends awaits!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello there! I hope you are having a lovely day!