Sunday, July 5, 2009

Please count the number of rows between you and your closest exit, remembering it could be behind you…


Blissful lazy, rainy Sunday morning. After maxing out my domestic resourcefulness quota for the new financial year yesterday morning, I spent the morning stretching out in my most favourite armchair drinking espresso and reading Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice. What an awesome book, and I find her late conversion to Christianity particularly fascinating to think about when reading her older work. It was so miserable outside, and so comfy and toasty inside, that I didn’t make it out of the house til 1:30. Glorious.


Reading Interview sent me on a nostalgic little amble down memory lane to when I was a wannabe Goth in high school, obsessed with all Anne Rice’s work (my vast collection of every single one of her books was later sold on Trading Post for the grand sum of fifty bucks. I wonder where they are these days, and I wonder how many people have sat in bed way too late, flipping forward to see how many pages there are until the end of the chapter, telling themselves they’ll read for just a little bit longer and that they’ll go to sleep soon?)

1996

The Goth phase was succeeded by a (thankfully brief) phase my BFFs and I remember with horror as our ‘Flight Attendant phase’. Blazers and knotted scarves featured very heavily. This picture was at my 16th birthday dinner at Montezumas in mid-90s Brissie. Could we party or WHAT!?


1997

This was followed by the homegirls starting their journey to becoming the most stunningly beautiful and stylish fashionistas they all are today. I, on the other hand, entered the “I’m an Artist, get me out of here!” chapter of my life.



1997 1998 1999

I do still like to channel those days and sprinkle some inner artist here and there. It’s just not the same without that raw fearlessness that seems to come and go in a flash in those last few years of your teens, but that’s life, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello there! I hope you are having a lovely day!