Monday, July 20, 2009

Reasons I love Melbourne #1 - Dim Sims and closed Gelato shops

Backing up yesterday's fine weather with another gorgeous crisp Winter's day I figured I had to brave the wind and get out and about at lunchtime.

First stop was to pick up 2 x South Melbourne Market dim sims. These dimmies are so famous I don't even have to GO to South Melbourne Market to get them, the cafe downstairs has a regular stockpile if you ask nicely. They are great, and from what I hear (and the number of Google hits that search term gets!), pretty much the rest of Melbourne agrees. Delicious. Don't even want to know what is in them. Delicious.

Next was a stroll up to Carlton to drop some film in at Vanbar for developing. I figured since I was up this neck of the woods I would drop by Lygon St for some killer gelato. First stop: Casa del Gelato - closed for a Winter break. Second stop: Il Dolce Freddo - closed for a Winter break. Third stop: some other gelato place I turned to in my growing desperation for a tart, sticky lemon sorbet to counteract the salty savoury overload from the dimmies - closed for a Winter break. I LOVE that the little gelato places close for Winter. I mean, it makes so much sense! Who in their right mind would want gelato in this weather? I didn't even get cranky at all, I could just picture all the gorgeously surly old gelato proprietors making the most of the Winter, drinking strong coffee, tending to the house, being yelled at by their loving and bossy wives.

Making my way back to the office, senza gelato but with the promise to myself that I'd get a macchiato later on, a huge gust of wind grabbed my scarf and unravelled it nearly completely from around my neck. It twisted right up into the air and I only just managed to grab the end before it was lost and gone forever. Even then, my first reaction was "how gorgeous, that was so poetic". (?!?)

I repeat - do NOT want to know what is in those South Melbourne Market dim sims!

1 comment:

  1. Tee hee, is it tres uncool for me to post a comment, I don't know how blogs work (it's Al :o)? It's relevant I promise! I got b*tched out by some snooty Parisienne at the counter to buy the most awesomest dimsums just this evening! So agree re. awesomeness of good dimsums. I have a gelati comment too - despite being summer they are all on hols too, random, gotta love the crazy continentals. Love the blog mate!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! I hope you are having a lovely day!